A Moroccan court on Thursday sentenced 18 Senegalese football supporters to prison terms of three to 12 months for hooliganism during the Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) final, which Morocco lost 1-0 to Senegal on January 18.
The defendants, who had been held in pre-trial detention since the match, were accused of attempting a pitch invasion and throwing objects onto the field, acts prosecutors said were intended to “deliberately disrupt the proper conduct of the match.”
“The defendants committed acts of violence broadcast live on television,” the prosecution told the court, while seeking maximum penalties for some of the fans.
Estimated material damage to the stadium exceeded four million Moroccan dirhams ($430,000), according to authorities.

Evidence presented included surveillance footage and medical reports documenting injuries among stadium stewards and security personnel.
However, the defendants’ lawyer, Naima El Guellaf, challenged the evidence, arguing that the footage did not “contain irrefutable proof showing that any one of them struck or assaulted anyone.”
She also noted that the Confederation of African Football (CAF) had already sanctioned the Senegalese football federation over the incident, suggesting the fans were being unfairly “tried twice.”
CAF had imposed substantial fines on both the Senegalese and Moroccan federations in late January for unsporting behaviour and breaches of fair play during the high-tension matc
