The Defence Headquarters Nigeria (DHQ) has confirmed the arrival of 100 United States military personnel and equipment at Bauchi Airfield as part of a bilateral security cooperation initiative aimed at strengthening Nigeria’s counterterrorism capabilities.
In a statement on Monday, Samaila Uba, Director of Defence Information, explained that the deployment follows a formal request by the Federal Government for technical support, military training, and intelligence-sharing assistance for members of the Nigerian Armed Forces.
“The US personnel are technical specialists serving strictly in advisory and training capacities and are not deployed as combat forces. All training and support activities are conducted under the authority, direction and control of the Federal Government, in close coordination with the Nigerian military,” Uba said.
The DHQ said joint training exercises and intelligence-focused initiatives will soon begin, aimed at enhancing the Nigerian military’s ability to detect, prevent, and neutralise extremist threats across the country.
“The military remains fully committed to degrading and defeating terrorist groups that threaten Nigeria’s sovereignty, national security, and the safety of its citizens,” the statement added.
The deployment comes amid international scrutiny of Nigeria’s security situation. The United States had previously designated Nigeria as a Country of Particular Concern (CPC) over alleged human rights abuses, a claim rejected by Nigerian authorities, who stressed that insecurity affects citizens across all religious communities.

Dagvin Anderson, Commander of the United States Africa Command, confirmed that the team’s presence in Nigeria focuses primarily on intelligence support and capacity building rather than direct combat operations.
Despite concerns from some critics about potential implications for Nigeria’s territorial integrity, the DHQ emphasised that the partnership is strictly limited to professional military education, intelligence sharing, logistics support, and strategic dialogue, in line with existing bilateral agreements.
Nigeria continues to face security threats from multiple armed groups, including Boko Haram, its splinter faction Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP), the ISIL-linked Lakurawa group, and various bandit networks engaged in kidnapping and illegal mining. United Nations data indicate that these conflicts have claimed thousands of lives across the country in recent years.
“We are committed to transparency and will continue to provide timely and accurate information on the scope and progress of this military cooperation,” Uba said, reinforcing the government’s pledge to keep Nigerians informed.
The DHQ said the deployment represents a strategic effort to build Nigerian military resilience and enhance protection for vulnerable communities nationwide, marking a new phase of US-Nigeria defence collaboration.

